We are looking for further experienced Court of Protection Solicitors to join our leading COP solicitor team. As an acknowledged leader in mental capacity an COP work, this is a great opportunity to expand your experience and work at the forefront of mental capacity work.
We have experienced a tremendous growth in work referred to the firm and so need to add to our existing team, and are looking for solicitors at all levels of qualification who have the experience and approach to fit the firm's ethos.
The COP Solicitor roles
The role can be undertaken working partly or wholly remotely (probably 2-3 days a week in the office to start with, dropping to 1-2 days as needed), as is the settled practice of the firm going forward.
The Court of Protection team is headed by Managing Director Elizabeth Hughes, under Chairman Hugh Jones, who is an OPG panel deputy.
The successful candidate will be part of a team of qualified lawyers and 11 Case Workers (paralegal grade D fee earners) managing Finance and Property deputyship files. Our clients include those who have lost capacity following a birth injury or accident and have received damages following a PI or clinical Negligence claim and clients living with dementia and other illnesses. We undertake a significant amount of contested, high-value Court of Protection work including cases with jurisdictional issues and financial abuse investigation work.
Work will include daily contact with clients, their families and carers, case management and support teams; you will give advice on a wide range of practical and legal issues and undertake applications to the Court. The successful candidate will have experience of a significant proportion of the following:
• Professional deputyship work, including if possible, high value and complex matters
• Applications to the Court of Protection
• Contested Court of Protection matters, preparing instructions to counsel, Court bundles etc.
• Advice to families regarding LPAs and Lay deputyship applications
• Investigation of financial abuse
• Knowledge of welfare issues affecting Protected Parties
• Knowledge of different care funding options including local authority and NHS funding
• Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards
• 2+ years’ experience in Court of Protection/Property and Affairs, can be pre and/or post qualification;
Working practices and Covid-19
Since March 2020, 90% of our employees have been working successfully from home and our business has continued to do well throughout this period, with increasing work volumes.
We have reorganised our office to provide socially distanced and safe working environment and have evolved to a position where most team members will work some of the time from home and some of the time from the office, usually 4 days at home and 1 day in the office but this is varied to suit the individual.
Salary and benefits
• 25 days holiday
• Private Health following completion of a 3 month probationary period
• Subsidised gym membership
• Life insurance at 3 x salary
• Contributory pension scheme
• Attendance Bonus scheme
• Annual bonus of a week’s salary on firm hitting target
• Additional 1.5 day’s holiday at Christmas (combination of Christmas shopping/closing office at Christmas Eve).
• We will provide IT equipment and any furniture required to set up your home office.
Salary range: Commensurate with experience and dependent upon qualifications
Start date: As soon as available.
Applications to Director, Jenny Roberts by email on email@example.com